Sunday, June 1, 2014

First tobacco-free village of India in Nagaland



June 1, Kohima: Gariphema village in Nagaland has been declared the country’s first “tobacco-free village”.


The declaration was made by principal secretary R Benchilo Thong on the occasion of “World No Tobacco Day” yesterday at the Gariphema village council hall near here.


Over 2200 Indians die every day due to tobacco use and 40 per cent of all cancers in the country are caused due to tobacco use, he said, adding 90 per cent oral cancer cases were tobacco related.

Over 2200 Indians die every day due to tobacco use and 40 per cent of all cancers in the country are caused due to tobacco use, he said, adding 90 per cent oral cancer cases were tobacco related.



It was result of an initiative taken by the Gariphema village council, village vision cell and village students’ union, Thong said.


A resolution was taken at the village that whoever sells alcohol and tobacco or whoever gets drunk and disturbs peace would be imposed a fine of Rs 1000 while those consuming alcohol, ‘bidi’, ‘paan’, betel nut or smokeless tobacco on the street and public places would be fined Rs 500.


Thong said Gariphema has shown a great example not only to villages in Nagaland but also to other regions of the country and urged the villagers to strictly follow the declaration.


At the programme, deputy director, National Tobacco Control Programme, MC Longai said 67.9 per cent men and 28.1 per cent women of Nagaland consume tobacco.


Over 2200 Indians die every day due to tobacco use and 40 per cent of all cancers in the country are caused due to tobacco use, he said, adding 90 per cent oral cancer cases were tobacco related.


India has the highest number of oral cancer cases in the world, he said.


Source: Times Of India




















via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1wN3GFM

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

‘Mighty warrior’ Smith retires from cricket


IOL pic mar4 graeme smith

Reuters


Graeme Smith has announced an end to his 347-match international career, which will take effect after the current Test series against Australia. File picture: Siphiwe Sibeko



Johannesburg -


The Proteas’ Test captain, Graeme Smith, has announced an end to his 347-match international career, which will take effect after the current Test series against Australia, Cricket SA (CSA) said on Monday.


Smith broke the news to his team-mates after the close of play on Monday, CSA said in a statement.


“This has been the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my life,” Smith said.


“It’s a decision that I have been considering since my ankle surgery in April last year.


“I have a young family to consider, and I felt that retiring at Newlands would be the best way to end it because I have called this place home since I was 18 years old.”


Smith made his first-class debut for South Africa at the age of 21, and ends his illustrious career with 17 228 International runs and as the most capped Test captain in the history of the game.


“I have always been someone who has left everything out there on the field for my team and for my country,” he said.


“I’m extremely honoured and proud to have had the privilege to lead so many wonderful players and to have been a part of building the Proteas culture to what it is today.


“It is a culture that every player can be, and is, immensely proud of.”


CSA reacted with surprise to Smith’s decision. Chief executive Haroon Lorgat was, however, full of praise for the player’s contribution to cricket in the country.


“Although Graeme’s decision to retire from all forms of international cricket comes as a surprise to all of us, we must respect him for deciding to call time,” Lorgat said.


“Knowing him as well as I do, having been instrumental as a selector in appointing him as a young captain, he would not have taken this decision lightly or without a great deal of thought.


“He has captained the Proteas for more than a decade and he will draw a lot more satisfaction from the fact that he leaves our Test team at the top of the world and in such good health rather than from all the personal records he has achieved.”


The 33-year-old Smith has also led South Africa to the World Cup semi-final in 2007.


“I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the support from my parents and brother, my wife and children, my friends, my fans and to Cricket South Africa,” he said.


“I thank and honour the players who I have played with and those who have supported me and helped me to be the person and captain I am today.


“I have been fortunate to have had many highs, amongst them leading and being part of the best Test team in the world. I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life.”


Lorgat said Smith can proudly leave the game behind and deserved the gratitude of South Africans for leading the Proteas with distinction.


“I would like us to remember Graeme for his nerves of steel and his match-winning performances that were synonymous with some of the most remarkable fourth-innings victory chases of all time,” Lorgat said.


“These included setting up the 414 runs chase against Australia at Perth and his series-clinching innings at Edgbaston in 2008, not to mention the unbeaten century the last time he faced Australia at Sahara Park Newlands in 2011.


“His role in setting up the famous 438 win over Australia in 2006 was also a performance never to be forgotten.”


Lorgat said as a member of the panel that appointed Smith as captain in 2003 ahead of his first assignment on the tour of England – he was privileged to see the player move on to the next stage of his career.


“He has been a mighty warrior, a leader of men and an exceptional part of our international cricket,” Lorgat said.


“Following the recent retirement of Jacques Kallis from Test cricket, there is no doubt that we are now ready to move into a new era and it is our job to build on the solid foundations that these great players leave behind.” – Sapa







via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1i9gLVj

Monday, March 3, 2014

‘Mighty warrior’ Smith retires from cricket


IOL pic mar4 graeme smith

Reuters


Graeme Smith has announced an end to his 347-match international career, which will take effect after the current Test series against Australia. File picture: Siphiwe Sibeko



Johannesburg -


The Proteas’ Test captain, Graeme Smith, has announced an end to his 347-match international career, which will take effect after the current Test series against Australia, Cricket SA (CSA) said on Monday.


Smith broke the news to his team-mates after the close of play on Monday, CSA said in a statement.


“This has been the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my life,” Smith said.


“It’s a decision that I have been considering since my ankle surgery in April last year.


“I have a young family to consider, and I felt that retiring at Newlands would be the best way to end it because I have called this place home since I was 18 years old.”


Smith made his first-class debut for South Africa at the age of 21, and ends his illustrious career with 17 228 International runs and as the most capped Test captain in the history of the game.


“I have always been someone who has left everything out there on the field for my team and for my country,” he said.


“I’m extremely honoured and proud to have had the privilege to lead so many wonderful players and to have been a part of building the Proteas culture to what it is today.


“It is a culture that every player can be, and is, immensely proud of.”


CSA reacted with surprise to Smith’s decision. Chief executive Haroon Lorgat was, however, full of praise for the player’s contribution to cricket in the country.


“Although Graeme’s decision to retire from all forms of international cricket comes as a surprise to all of us, we must respect him for deciding to call time,” Lorgat said.


“Knowing him as well as I do, having been instrumental as a selector in appointing him as a young captain, he would not have taken this decision lightly or without a great deal of thought.


“He has captained the Proteas for more than a decade and he will draw a lot more satisfaction from the fact that he leaves our Test team at the top of the world and in such good health rather than from all the personal records he has achieved.”


The 33-year-old Smith has also led South Africa to the World Cup semi-final in 2007.


“I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the support from my parents and brother, my wife and children, my friends, my fans and to Cricket South Africa,” he said.


“I thank and honour the players who I have played with and those who have supported me and helped me to be the person and captain I am today.


“I have been fortunate to have had many highs, amongst them leading and being part of the best Test team in the world. I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life.”


Lorgat said Smith can proudly leave the game behind and deserved the gratitude of South Africans for leading the Proteas with distinction.


“I would like us to remember Graeme for his nerves of steel and his match-winning performances that were synonymous with some of the most remarkable fourth-innings victory chases of all time,” Lorgat said.


“These included setting up the 414 runs chase against Australia at Perth and his series-clinching innings at Edgbaston in 2008, not to mention the unbeaten century the last time he faced Australia at Sahara Park Newlands in 2011.


“His role in setting up the famous 438 win over Australia in 2006 was also a performance never to be forgotten.”


Lorgat said as a member of the panel that appointed Smith as captain in 2003 ahead of his first assignment on the tour of England – he was privileged to see the player move on to the next stage of his career.


“He has been a mighty warrior, a leader of men and an exceptional part of our international cricket,” Lorgat said.


“Following the recent retirement of Jacques Kallis from Test cricket, there is no doubt that we are now ready to move into a new era and it is our job to build on the solid foundations that these great players leave behind.” – Sapa







via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1pYv0gQ

Mountaineer Shanti Rai cycles 2,500 km for greener and cleaner India




NAMCHI, 17 Feb: Sikkimese mountaineer Shanti Rai is back from a challenging 35-day bicycle expedition covering 2,500 kms across the country. The expedition, Go Green Girls (GGG), was organized by the Women’s Adventure Network of India (WANI) between 05 January and 07 February, 2014.

The participants cycled through the west coast of India from Kutch to Kerala covering distance of approximately 2,500 kilometers. Fifteen women took part in the 35-day cycling expedition that was flagged off from Bharuch, Gujarat.

The team cycled 50-120 kilometers every day which amounts to about five to seven hours of cycling each day. The aim behind organizing the expedition is to promote a greener, cleaner and healthier India and encourage younger women to higher levels of achievement through presentations in schools and colleges.

Shanti was selected after a tough physical endurance test in Nagpur and is the first woman from Sikkim to participate in such an adventure event. 28-year-old Shanti has an MPhil in Botany and had never cycled before. She reached her home town, Namchi today.

WANI is a women’s organisation committed to empowering women through adventure. It is the brainchild of a few passionate women adventurers who decided to get together to create a powerful movement that will sweep across India. This initiative resulted in the birth of the Women Adventure Network of India (WANI). One of the missions of the organization is to bring women of all adventure sports on one platform.

WANI had organized a similar cycling expedition from Kolkata-Kanyakumari where 15 women cycled 3000 kms in 35 days from 26 Jan-28 Feb in 2011.








via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1eYEkIK

Aussies in total control


iol spt mar3 Harris-Newlands

Reuters


Fast bowlers Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson bowled Australia into a strong position on the third day of the third and final Test against South Africa at Newlands. Photo by: Shaun Roy/Reuters



Fast bowlers Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson bowled Australia into a strong position on the third day of the third and final Test against South Africa at Newlands on Monday.


South Africa were 200 for six at tea in reply to Australia’s 494 for seven declared.


Harris took three for 44 and Johnson two for 29. Both bowlers gained reverse swing, with the accurate Harris in particular troubling the batsmen with deliveries which dipped in sharply towards right-handers.


Despite losing early wickets, South Africa scored freely during an extended morning’s play, reaching 127 for four off 32 overs at lunch.


But the scoring slowed to a trickle after form batsman AB de Villiers was caught at second slip off Johnson for 14 soon after lunch.


JP Duminy fell to a catch behind by Brad Haddin for four and Faf du Plessis and Vernon Philander were forced to defend resolutely in an unbeaten seventh wicket stand of 54.


Only 73 runs were scored off 26 overs between lunch and tea. Du Plessis was on 42 not out after facing 98 balls.


Du Plessis had two escapes. Wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, who took four catches, missed a stumping off Nathan Lyon when Du Plessis was on 30, then dropped a difficult leg side chance off Harris when the batsman was on 35.


With play starting 30 minutes earlier because of rain which cut 51 overs from the second day’s play, Australian captain Michael Clarke declared overnight.


It proved a shrewd move because there was early movement off the pitch for the bowlers, with South African captain Graeme Smith caught behind off a ball from Harris which seamed away from him. Smith has made only 42 runs in five innings in the series.


Dean Elgar made 11 before he was superbly caught by Haddin off James Pattinson, the wicketkeeper flinging himself to his right to hold an inside edge by the left-hander.


Alviro Petersen and Hashim Amla added 53 off 58 balls with Petersen reaching a fluent half-century off 50 balls with eight fours.


But Petersen added only three more before he gloved Mitchell Johnson down the leg side for Haddin to take his third catch of the innings.


Amla looked in good form but was bowled for 38 when Harris made a ball swing back sharply to find a gap between bat and pad.– AFP







via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1eNOYGB

Mountaineer Shanti Rai cycles 2,500 km for greener and cleaner India




NAMCHI, 17 Feb: Sikkimese mountaineer Shanti Rai is back from a challenging 35-day bicycle expedition covering 2,500 kms across the country. The expedition, Go Green Girls (GGG), was organized by the Women’s Adventure Network of India (WANI) between 05 January and 07 February, 2014.

The participants cycled through the west coast of India from Kutch to Kerala covering distance of approximately 2,500 kilometers. Fifteen women took part in the 35-day cycling expedition that was flagged off from Bharuch, Gujarat.

The team cycled 50-120 kilometers every day which amounts to about five to seven hours of cycling each day. The aim behind organizing the expedition is to promote a greener, cleaner and healthier India and encourage younger women to higher levels of achievement through presentations in schools and colleges.

Shanti was selected after a tough physical endurance test in Nagpur and is the first woman from Sikkim to participate in such an adventure event. 28-year-old Shanti has an MPhil in Botany and had never cycled before. She reached her home town, Namchi today.

WANI is a women’s organisation committed to empowering women through adventure. It is the brainchild of a few passionate women adventurers who decided to get together to create a powerful movement that will sweep across India. This initiative resulted in the birth of the Women Adventure Network of India (WANI). One of the missions of the organization is to bring women of all adventure sports on one platform.

WANI had organized a similar cycling expedition from Kolkata-Kanyakumari where 15 women cycled 3000 kms in 35 days from 26 Jan-28 Feb in 2011.








via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1eN3dM7

Aussies in total control


iol spt mar3 Harris-Newlands

Reuters


Fast bowlers Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson bowled Australia into a strong position on the third day of the third and final Test against South Africa at Newlands. Photo by: Shaun Roy/Reuters



Fast bowlers Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson bowled Australia into a strong position on the third day of the third and final Test against South Africa at Newlands on Monday.


South Africa were 200 for six at tea in reply to Australia’s 494 for seven declared.


Harris took three for 44 and Johnson two for 29. Both bowlers gained reverse swing, with the accurate Harris in particular troubling the batsmen with deliveries which dipped in sharply towards right-handers.


Despite losing early wickets, South Africa scored freely during an extended morning’s play, reaching 127 for four off 32 overs at lunch.


But the scoring slowed to a trickle after form batsman AB de Villiers was caught at second slip off Johnson for 14 soon after lunch.


JP Duminy fell to a catch behind by Brad Haddin for four and Faf du Plessis and Vernon Philander were forced to defend resolutely in an unbeaten seventh wicket stand of 54.


Only 73 runs were scored off 26 overs between lunch and tea. Du Plessis was on 42 not out after facing 98 balls.


Du Plessis had two escapes. Wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, who took four catches, missed a stumping off Nathan Lyon when Du Plessis was on 30, then dropped a difficult leg side chance off Harris when the batsman was on 35.


With play starting 30 minutes earlier because of rain which cut 51 overs from the second day’s play, Australian captain Michael Clarke declared overnight.


It proved a shrewd move because there was early movement off the pitch for the bowlers, with South African captain Graeme Smith caught behind off a ball from Harris which seamed away from him. Smith has made only 42 runs in five innings in the series.


Dean Elgar made 11 before he was superbly caught by Haddin off James Pattinson, the wicketkeeper flinging himself to his right to hold an inside edge by the left-hander.


Alviro Petersen and Hashim Amla added 53 off 58 balls with Petersen reaching a fluent half-century off 50 balls with eight fours.


But Petersen added only three more before he gloved Mitchell Johnson down the leg side for Haddin to take his third catch of the innings.


Amla looked in good form but was bowled for 38 when Harris made a ball swing back sharply to find a gap between bat and pad.– AFP







via NorthEast Calling - NorthEast India's No1 Website http://ift.tt/1eN3azP