Frank-Walter Steinmeier, German foreign minister, hits GOP letter to Iran on nuke talks
SEE ALSO: Six in 10 say Iran deal unlikely to slow nuclear weapons development: poll
“It’s Iran now that has to give us proof of its credibility,” he said.
Mr. Steinmeier also signaled that the deadline to reach a deal in the coming months is real. Although the talks with Iran have already been extended several times, once the current negotiations ends at the end of the year there would be no intention to extend talks further, he said.
In Tehran, Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei gave his first public reaction to the letter Thursday, saying it confirmed the U.S.’s reputation of “backstabbing,” according to the Reuters news agency.
The ayatollah said in a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani that whenever progress was made with the U.S., it would only become “harsher, tougher and coarser.”
Mr. Steinmeier said that unity between the U.S. and Europe is crucial to addressing military conflicts and diplomatic crises in hot spots from the Middle East to Ukraine. He stressed that disagreements within Europe as well divisions in Washington can make it harder to resolve conflicts.
The German minister, who spoke at the Center for Strategic and International Studies a day after meeting with Secretary of State John F. Kerry, seconded the reservations of German Chancellor Angela Merkel about supplying lethal offensive arms to Ukraine in its war with pro-Russia separatists. He said supplying Ukraine with such military assistance could escalate tensions with Russia and further complicate efforts to enforce the cease-fire Mrs. Merkel helped negotiate with Moscow in Minsk last month.
“Have we solved this crisis? Certainly not. Can weapons solve it? You know my doubts,” said the minister.
During his meeting with Mr. Steinmeier, Mr. Kerry announced the administration’s intention to supply Ukraine with $75 million in nonlethal military assistance, including armored vehicles, although the U.S. again stopped short of supplying offensive materiel.
Although there have been some violations, Mr. Steinmeier said both pro-Russia fighters and the Ukrainian army have begun to withdraw heavy weapons as part of the deal.
via NorthEast Calling http://ift.tt/1Bazl28
No comments:
Post a Comment